Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Improve your english : word meaning : PARADOX

You can easily remeber the meaning of these words
Google Search
If you are seriously interested to know and remember the word meaning of PARADOX, then proceed to read. Otherwise, skip this page. It is really boring.
Once upon a time, a Law teacher came across a student who was willing to learn but was unable to pay the fees. The student made an agreement with the teacher saying, “I will pay your fee the day I win my first case in the court”.
The course was finished and when the teacher asked for the money, the student reminded him of the deal and refused to pay. Fed up with this, the teacher decided to sue the student in the court of law and both of them decided to argue for themselves.
The teacher put forward his argument saying: ” If I win this case, as per the court of law, the student has to pay me as the case is about his non-payment of dues. And if I lose the case, student will still pay me because he would have won his first case. So either way I will have to get the money”.
Quickly, the brilliant student argued back with: “If I win the case, as per the court of law, I don’t have to pay anything to the teacher as the case is about my non-payment of dues. And if I lose the case, I don’t have to pay him because I haven’t won my first case yet. So either way, I am not going to pay the teacher anything”. Here what you see is a paradox.
  • So, a paradox is a statement that contradicts itself.
  • For example, the statement "I never tell the truth" is a paradox because if the statement is true (T), it must be false (F) and if it is false (F), it must be true (T).
  • In everyday language, a paradox is a concept that seems absurd or contradictory, yet is true.
  • In a Windows environment, for instance, it is a paradox that when a user wants to shut down their computer, it is necessary to first click "START"
enjoystudy.blogspot.com
Thank you For Your Visit
Main Menu...
Google Search

No comments:

 
Disclaimer and Copyright